Sunday, April 3, 2011

Birthday Blog

Actually, it’s my second birthday, today being April 2. My proper birthday is March 28, (which for 44 years I believed was also my mother’s birthday, until she told me recently that it could be the 27th. Does it matter? Makes me smile.) Last week I was in Canmore, $ working with my virtual training partner Peter, who is relocating his Buff empire to Canmore (www.buyabuff.com). But today I am back home at our lovely house in Hills, BC, with Natasha and the dogs.

So, I am now officially 46, not 47 as I had originally thought on my birthday proper, so I feel as if I have gained a year. Fantastic. Senility arriving early for me I think.

Natasha and I had a fabulous visit to the UK, and thanks to everyone for making us feel so welcome and at home. It was a streamlined friends and family tour and, as ever, many missed out. Next time. The weather was beautiful, no rain, only sun. We struggled with our inner selves as to our relationship with our mother country, whether we return sooner or later. What is clear is that we once again saw England through rose tinted spectacles which we thoroughly enjoy wearing. The countryside was a vibrant green, skipping lambs scurried with no purpose around fields, amber nectar poured from casks, dry stone walls asking to be touched. The list goes on. And so does my marathon training.

I had the delight of running through the English countryside and managed to do so with three good friends: Kevin lead me through the rolling Dorset hills from Hardy monument to the sea; Tony chatted non stop around Carsington reservoir in Derbyshire; Bryan’s satellite tracking watch beeped us along the river Tyne in Newcastle. Natasha and I even managed to squeeze in a run together. All good. I upped the mileage too, now hovering at about 35 per week, due to be over 40 this week. My triumph run was from Hugh’s house in Matlock which was a stunning 18 miler through undulating lands owned by my nemesis, the Duke of Devonshire. This did my confidence no end of good.

But now the nerves are beginning to set in. I am starting to create a check list of ‘things to do on the day’ in my head: Bryan’s unpleasant toilet story at the start of his recent Barcelona marathon was harrowin.. Get the pace right. Energy gels – what to use? Will I make the flight home after? What about my belongings? Stick with the 3:30 race hare (‘bunny’). 3:30 might elude me. Devastating. Perhaps 3:20 might be possible? Don’t even think of it.

The snow is now melting which is a blessing, but we now have the aftermath – mud, water and mess. The field at the bottom of our property is now one vast network of rivers and lakes. Pretty amazing. Last week I was training in snowy Canmore so that thankfully is now behind me. Tomorrow’s run is another 18 miler on open roads, but this time armed with my new birthday toy from Natasha – a Garmin 305 satellite tracker watch. I can now annoy myself with my very own beeping noises, waving at the occasional car, staring at wonder at the beautiful countryside we live in, imaging what Race Day will be like.

On a personal note, thanks Peter for your hospitality this last week in Canmore. Hope your illness has not set you back too much for your Mallorca cycle race training camp. I’ll do my utmost to make sure your Buff marathon sponsorship does us all proud! 

UK tour pictures – http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=347331&id=792629362
Garmin personal training data - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/77020606

28 days to go and I’m nervous.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tim
    sounds like a great trip to the UK.
    I can relate to your ambiguity about living in Canada or the UK.
    I remember with a lot of fondness the landscapes of the Northumberland Coast - especially doing the Phoenix Fourteen (if you haven't done that one Brian - it's actually the best run in the World!) ... and Derbyshire what a place - do you remember that run we did over Stanage and you saw a white hare - or that long walk along all the Edges when I think my hips finally gave out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one of those senile moments! Glad its not just me but it's great when you work out that you're a year younger.

    As for the 3:20 Marathon... I've looked at your Garmin data and mashed it through a 'race predictor' programme and yes, you are capable of a 3:20 Marathon.
    Several MASSIVE words of caution though...
    You've trained all winter for a 3.30 Marathon, is it wise to change it now?
    You might race 3.20 but will you still be in a fit state to catch your flight afterwards?
    And finally, remember what happened to me in Amsterdam by running a few seconds per km faster than my intended pace!

    You could always go for 3.15 in the Autumn :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Phoenix is on my 'bucket list'. It has a different name now but still very popular. I'll do it one of these years when I don't have to worry about child-care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on your last big training run Tim! Who would have thought that your would still be having to stay on the roads because snow still lies on the trails in April.

    ReplyDelete