Friday, December 2, 2011

Life is good

The late afternoon lighting over New Denver glacier sky winked at me, saying ‘I’m off now. See you tomorrow’. The brilliant, clear white light reflecting off the virgin snow dazzled me for a few seconds, as I felt that rush of adrenalin and sheer pleasure of being alive. But then I realized I still had 6km to run in 12” snow, with two dogs intent on chasing every deer in the area and no headtorch. Life is fun, and if not, make it fun!

I had been intent on going for a run, without really giving any practical thought as to where I was going and the time of day. I left at 3.15pm, and ran up the ‘old highway’, a dirt track, called Old Sandon Road. I call this run of mine the ‘bucket loop’ and its one of my favourites. 12 – 13km of pure fun, and includes a bucket crossing of Carpenter Creek. There is a fair amount of climbing too, and I was blind to the consequences. As I climbed out of New Denver, I noticed the snow getting thicker, the dogs ever more excited. I lost them twice big time which cost me about 10 minutes of precious daylight, but I kept saying to myself ‘nah, it be reet’. But that view as I topped out at upper Alamo Siding mine site was inspiration in itself, making me realize that we lead such sedate, safe, TV lives.

All through the run, I was pondering over something I had said to a good friend of mine, Colin, who happens to be my boss. (I’ve been fortunate over my time of employment to have had predominantly good bosses, even if their superiors were useless). But I had said to him earlier on that week that I hoped one day to be an inspiration to him. It had bothered me at the time, and it had been bothering me ever since, as to why I had said that to him. Was I seeking recognition? Friendship? An ego massage? His answer was very politically correct which was good, but left me puzzling over this issue even more. It was whilst running down Alamo Siding, up to my ankles in drift snow, the dogs long gone, light fading, with the prospect of a dark run through forest, down towards the coveted bucket crossing, that it suddenly dawned on me why. It had little to do with our  relationship, as a friend or employee; It had everything to do with Tim and the relationship with himself and the outside world. That moment of topping out had said it all.

Since the Victoria marathon, I have only been out running a few times, and only once on the dreaded road. Every time I went out, I have been in my running haze, winning all these races, breaking all those PBs, breaking the 3.30 marathon. I was the best I could be. If you are a runner, you will know exactly what I mean. But since the snow, I have done nothing. No endomorphine flow. But here was I physically maxed out, head buzzing, heart pumping. I need to be fit enough to be able to do these special things. It’s too easy to sit back and watch the world go by. We all need to keep our head strong. Live for the moment and let your footsteps be the first in that snow.

It was a long run back in the dark.

We have snow here now. Winter has not fully arrived, but its certainly knocking at the door. I am continually in and out of work. Its tough, but reality; the cost of living where we do. I’ve tried once again knocking on the Federal MPs door to see if I can help. I’ve become a board member of our local ski club, along will all the frustrations it brings. The new snowblower has bust, our fridge saga continues and the diesel truck is up for sale. I’m not doing well with mechanical things right now, so I’m glad not be a mechanic. Natasha’s book continues to generate interest, book 2 on the proof reading table. I'm dabbling in the cosmetic world, using my beeswax for skin cream. Hardly redneck manly, but its quite fun.

I was given a ‘Life is good’ T shirt by Jane years back. Life is indeed good, but its not necessarily easy. If you lose sight of it, go looking.
Tim

2 comments:

  1. Like it Tim
    Seems you do need to run to feel alive, and it sounds like an amazing place to run, and you even get a bit of a rest in that 'bucket'.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dark evenings for 11 more days and then spring is on its way and you'll be hitting those trails with renewed bounce ready for the next challenge. In the meantime watch out for twigs disguised as ...well nothing...you just can't see them if you are mad enough to run in the dark!

    ReplyDelete