Sunday, December 5, 2010

Desicion making

This week has seen the start of winter proper. Whether it will stay with us in its present cold, white form remains to be seen, but for now let’s love it! I left Smiling Hills in the dark in the first winter snowstorm last Tuesday, only to realise that I had little time to catch the ferry across Arrow Lake, my link to destination Canmore, some 6 hours east. I thought I was prepared for winter – I had the shovel, the Rab jacket, chains, winter tyres, the ‘just in case’ sleeping bag, thermos – but to drive in the snow, in a hurry, in the dark, in an unweighted truck was an interesting introduction to my favourite season.

I made it in time for the ferry with three whole minutes to spare. But at what point do you stop pushing, testing the limits? One driver a few weeks back remarked to me as we watched the ferry depart without us ‘It’s not worth the extra push for the ferry, for the ditch is never far away. And then you will miss not only the next one, but the ones after that.’ Wise words indeed. Point taken. Lesson learned, hopefully.

The drive over was not bloodstained, but was hard work. I saw at least four accidents, the most alarming one being a big new truck having slid on ice in an avalanche tunnel into and under the back of a (presumably) slowing BIG articulated truck. Through the intact windscreen, the unharmed driver could clearly see what remained of his trucks engine and radiator. Fortunate driver or what? He won’t forget his introduction to the winter of 2010/11.

The journey was in many ways unremarkable, but remarkable in every way. The mountains peeked from the clouds every so often, the falling snow changing in intensity and purpose. I watched in awe, as I do every winter, the swirling snow across the road in front of me, dancing to the tune of the wind. I was reminded of my ski expeditions in Norway: head down, into the wind, thoughts privy only to me, pretending the swirling snow about my feet was indeed white sand in a desert. Sculptures, patterns, ever changing, never still. But the one thing that sadly struck me was the sheer volume of huge articulated trucks on the road, ferrying goods for us all to consume. And boy do they drive fast?! The railway runs parallel to the Trans Canada Highway virtually the whole way, for the best part empty. Having said that, when you do spy a train powering its way slowly through the scenery, you simply have to start counting the wagons. Losing count is easy.

I stayed in Canmore for two nights to pick up some brand new, disease free, bee keeping equipment. Very exciting. I was treated royally by Hammers supporter Peter to food, track skiing, treadmill running and good company. He was on cloud nine as West Ham had beaten Manchester United 4-0, any football team’s dream. The news darkened as it was announced that England, the country wedded to football, failed to make the grade as hosts for the World Cup. 2018 winner, Russia, slightly understandable. But Qatar, 2022? Who they? I wonder whether any women will be allowed into any of the 5 brand new 'to be relocated' stadiums? Speechless. But at least the future looks good Down Under, as the bi-annual 'leather on willow' battle commences. For the Ashes, cricket's most celebrated rivalry dating back to 1882, is starting well for our boys. 

Tim, 5 December.




3 comments:

  1. Decisions??
    I made a bad decision today!
    I went to the beach in my jeans - should have worn my shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The aussies have taken 6 wickets for 1200 runs. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe, but the end for the Oz is in sight. Bloomin' marvelous! 24yrs in the waiting.....

    ReplyDelete