Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The meaning of life....


Just what is the meaning of life, the universe and everything? The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (a trilogy in five parts) is, for me, an all time great. It gives me the strength to believe in the ‘cock-up’ theory and not let ‘conspiracy’ take over my mind.

My best mate in Canada is a Jehovah’s Witness. Early on we arrived at a mutual understanding and respect for each others belief and I learnt to respect that he listened to my non-believer, bunker like mentality on life. He believes in God’s creation, I believe in Darwin. But we also have a tremendous amount in common. I miss his company, for he lives in Port Hardy, some two days travel west. I came to realise what makes us humans different to all other life forms on this planet: that as a race we have the capacity to choose. We make decisions, rightly or wrongly, and have to cope with the consequences, be they local or global.

Since coming to West Kootenay, I have had to try and adjust to a slow pace of life, action and communication.  Lesson learned - don’t ever say to someone ‘It’s not important, no hurry’. I won’t bore you with our stories, but there are plenty. We both love living here, love our house, our surroundings – but the weak link? As ever, people. I remind myself of Douglas Adams – conspiracy lives, but cock-up fills our daily lives.  Looking back at our time in the UK, our lives were never filled with constant door knocking, parties and people orientated holidays, but good friends were always nearby. In past blogs I have made reference to missing my UK work buddies – in living here, I miss good friends. OK, I’m slightly down by not working at the moment, no income (not even via the Government), my truck is forever being repaired, all Natasha’s income goes on expenditure, no buddies to play with, but I think that it is fair for me to admit to having a hard time with my social surroundings.

I like people. I think I’m pretty good with people. I want a people orientated job. Here, people hide away, keep themselves to themselves. Very pleasant and always pleased to see you when bumped into on the local ski trail. But why is it that people find it so hard to communicate, to consider others, involve? What’s this got to do with Douglas Adams? I sincerely believe that the world is not out to get me. There is no local conspiracy (contrary to what some locals believe). I have to adapt to my new surroundings, fit in as best I can. But boy, it’s hard work. I won’t bore you with stories etc….  We all make choices – the beauty of living.

And running? Once again, a saviour. I’m running well at the moment, the hardest part putting running shoes on your feet. Natasha is running too. Outdoor training is not possible, so the dreaded running machine it is. But put the music on and get playing with speed and incline. I’ve started to consider a May marathon, as opposed to October. As Natasha says, at least I’ll have a summer that way! All dark times pass. Hugh once called me a mindless optimist. I draw on that strength. We all know the answer is ‘42’, but what was the question?

Till the next time and keep the communications up!
Tim

1 comment:

  1. Wow Tim!
    You may be a continent away but I can certainly relate to that one. I'm in an 'off-line' state of mind at the moment. Maybe it's the dark nights and too much dwelling on piss poor 'choices' I've made in my personal life.
    Still, it will soon be the solstice and happiness is only as far away as pulling on my trainers.

    ReplyDelete