Sunday, July 10, 2011

The lazy days of summer

I love it when I run well. I feel like I’m on top of the world, running on the balls of my feet as opposed to clumping on my heels. Training is going well, the mileage (‘kilometreage’ as Bryan pointed out, does not read right) increasing, the aches and pains kept at bay. The sun is shining on the Kootenays now which brings out the smiles on people. A great time of year for sure. Natasha is also training for her half marathon and she is working hard. October looms, too close. But I feel confident – as before.

So much snow fell over the winter that access to the inner mountains is restricted. Our local peak, Idaho, is still shrouded in snow. We drove up the access road the other day with Natasha’s friend, Billi, (and the dogs) and got within three kilometers of the parking lot. However, the abundance of snow keeps the tourists away, making the hike up the mountain divine. So peaceful, tranquil and adventurous.

Billi is English, parents live in Scotland, currently lives in Switzerland, met Natasha in Hungary (and so on…). She is visiting for three weeks and its great having the company and the enthusiasm to get out to do stuff. Its funny living in a landscape full of opportunity – sometimes you have to be reminded to get off your backside and get on with it! We all canoed on our local lake the other day, something we never do. Even the dogs settled down, noses resting on the side, tasting the water as it skimmed by. The last few weeks have been full on with trying to get landscaping done on our property, but now we are seeing the rewards as the newly seeded grass is turning the stony ground a fresh green. The B&B has been busy too, with August filling up. This provides us with a bit of money to plough back into the house which is good news indeed. I have ordered from a local guy some wood to build a roof over our rear deck and assemble some railings.

Natasha and Billi go of on their travels next week to the Rockies. I get left behind to do dog walks, running and laying the chunk of Indian slate we brought back last month from Kelowna. The clearing of the rooms has started and so the clutter increases. The running machine is now outside, under our front porch. Great view! As Richard from Port Hardy says ‘always think to the finished product’. My eyes can see a lovely slate floor, but my knees and back are already feeling the anticipated pain.

So, hardly the lazy days of summer. The bees are buzzing (still four hives, though pretty much touch and go sometimes) and the honey is starting to come in, defying the odds. House jobs abound, never enough time to complete the tick sheet. Eight acres of property is too much, but great fun. It’s a constant battle in the garden to keep law and order between the acceptable and wilderness. But its great and I love working outdoors.

We have booked out a week to go traveling, second week in August. We aim to swing a backpack on our backs, the first time for ages, but who knows what will happen! But what I do know is that our running shoes will be packed and am looking forward to exploring new trails.

Fun times!
Tim

2 comments:

  1. Hi Duvet.
    All sounds wonderful to a kindred spirit like me. As you know, I'm never happier that when I'm actually active (for almost all of the time!) If I don't come back shattered from my summer holiday adventures to SE Asia (or Costa Rica this summer)then I consider it to possibly not to have lived up to expectations.
    On the sporting front, just had our Woodlands Tennis club annual tournament where I managed to retain my mens doubles crown....and added the mixed doubles to it.....but I lost in the semis of the singles (great crack though....and such great weather). In very early stages of training for the tough Ashbourne half and then the Nottm Robin half marathons......within a week of each other in September!
    Have a great day/week....and stay chilled!
    Spoons. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Tim
    great to hear you so upbeat and looking forward to your summer and that your time management is as excellent as ever - taking a holiday when you have paying customers.

    ReplyDelete