Monday, July 18, 2011

OUCH!

The times, they are a changin’. I smiled to myself as I sat back in my camping chair, supping tea, reminiscing 1979/80 Jam, Who, Stranglers (and so on) concerts. Here I was now, watching The Sheepdogs do their stuff on stage, at our local Nakusp music (rock) festival in 2011. It was a snapshot from 1960’s Woodstock, young energetic lads with long hair and bandana’s, eating the microphone and make love to their guitar. I could not fault their energy and passion. It was not the average 40+ age which amused me, it was designated camping chair area for us to sit back, relax, drink tea and watch youngsters (and not so young) thrash about on their stage. Awesome event and I’ll definitely try to go next year. Kevin Costner and Modern West were spirited – I admired him for getting up on a stage which can so easily go horribly wrong. Missed the high tempo workout by Gary Hoey, but judging by the last 30 secs I caught as I wandered onto the field, his performance was electric. The Grapes of Wrath, childhood mates now well into their 40s reunited for a superb performance, Spirit of the West pumping out known tunes, but the accolade must go to the aging rockers I remember only too well on TotP with hits such as ‘What a fool believes’ and ‘Minute by Minute’. The Doobie Brothers - simply fantastic. Naively I spent time working out who the Doobie brothers were, until I read that a ‘doobie’ is a joint. What world do I live in??!

However, my time sitting in my camping chair was short lived on all three nights – not because of the dogs being home alone, or Natasha being away (in the Rockies with her girlfriend Billi), but injury. Alas I have been forced to stop running, having suffered a literal body blow. A piece of wood kicked back from my bench saw into the left side of my groin – apart from seeing stars for a long while, little ‘down below’ was recognisable due to swelling and I did not think that the viewed hue of black and blue existed.

Meanwhile, my bees are making honey. Lots of it. Busy little critters. Ill be extracting some this summer for sure, and maybe even try selling some of it. They are without doubt quite a remarkable insect. I hope that good fortune shines on me and them this winter, as to enter the spring of 2012 with four intact hives would be very special. Our summer is not treating them well, as we are not really having one just yet. This morning was fun – I hobbled off on my dog walk, but forgot my umbrella (middle aged or what?!). Yet another thunderstorm kicked in, and as I sheltered under one of our massive cedar trees, I watched the ferns and bracken dance to the beat of the raindrops. I would have missed that I had remembered my man made shelter. Look for nature, don’t hide from it.

My pile of India slate is slowly shrinking, mixing floor goop and laying tiles as I listen to my new cd purchases (signed, of course). Its fun – bachelor conditions kicking in as floor work takes over. I aim to finish the kit room by the time Natasha returns. My running remains on the back burner till Thursday. It was my rest week anyway, so full training shall resume, hopefully, next week. Meanwhile, our suite guests left happy this morning - over the weekend they had bumped into a certain Mr Costner coming out of our local food shop without knowing he was in the area.

Good times. Tim

1 comment: